The AILA 2024 World Congress celebrates 60 years of AILA
(1964 – 2024)
The foundation of AILA was agreed upon at the International Colloquium of Applied Linguistics at the University of Nancy, France (hence AILA’s French name), 1964. This decision was a result of two years preparatory work and discussion, with the financial support of the Council of Europe. At that time, the clientele to be served by this new international association was restricted mainly to linguists and language teachers in Europe. The first president of AILA was Bernard Pottier, supported in organizational and administrative matters by Max Gorosch. The founding congress of AILA in Nancy was almost exclusively run in French, and the main strands into which the contributions were organized were automatic translation, language teaching and research cooperation in Europe.
Originally a European initiative, AILA has become truly global over the past 40 years, including now affiliates from Africa, Asia, Latin America and North America.
AILA 60th Anniversary World Congresses
The AILA 60th Anniversary World Congresses is a trilogy of world congresses celebrating 60 years of AILA (1964 – 2024), starting with Lyon 20th AILA World Congress 2023, Kuala Lumpur 21st AILA World Congress 2024, and the 22nd AILA World Congress 2025 in another region to be announced soon. The objective of the trilogy of congresses is to explore novel hybrid conference formats which influences how we deal with content, traditions and change in the field.
AILA 2024 World Congress Kuala Lumpur
AILA 2024 60th Anniversary World Congress is part of the trilogy of World Congresses celebrating 60 years of AILA.
Linguistic Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Sustainability
The theme is expected to attract and bring together linguists, language experts and enthusiasts, and practicing communities to converge and share their experiences, ideas and discover new knowledge about how awareness and preservation of linguistic diversity can promote inclusion and sustainability.
The Congress is characterised by high level presentations and discussions on key issues in the field. Its format includes keynote addresses, plenary speeches by outstanding scholars, invited symposia, symposia, individual papers and poster presentations. Each congress is organised by a different national or regional affiliate. The congress sites alternate between different areas of the world to reflect the global character of AILA.
AILA 2024 Congress Objectives
To contribute to the development of all subject areas of applied linguistics in line with the UNESCO SDGs.
To promote the exchange of scientific knowledge and practical experience in applied linguistics and related fields.
To stimulate international cooperation amongst applied linguistics researchers, practitioners, policy makers and industry players.
To advance research on linguistic diversity, inclusion and sustainability.
To foster applied linguistics research in language use and in the teaching and learning of languages.
AILA 2024 Congress Tracks
We accept papers in the areas of applied linguistics that contribute innovative research and that will be of interest to an AILA audience.
The following are some suggested conference sub-themes and topics.
- Language Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity and Sustainability
- Language and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Language in Professional Practices and Professional Contexts
- Language and the Law
- Language and Health
- Language in the Workplace
- Language and the environment
- Language and New Media
- Language Immersion, Heritage, and Minority Education
- Computational linguistics and language processing
- Corpus linguistics
- Multilinguilism, Translanguaging & Transknowledging
- Educational Linguistics
- Language and Ideology
- Language, Technology and Artificial Intelligence
- Language Curriculum Development and Assessment
- Language and Brain Research
- Language, Culture, and Socialisation
- Semiotics, signs and language, and symbols
- Discourse studies, interaction and language variation
- Language and Gender
- Language Maintenance and Revitalization
- Language Planning and Policy and multilingual education
- Language and Social Justice
- Pragmatics and Sociolinguistcs
- Reading, Writing, and Literacy
- Second and Foreign Language Pedagogy
- Language Learning and Acquisition
- Language Teacher Education
- Translation and Interpretation
- Lexical Studies
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Forensic Linguistics
- Languages for specific purposes, business and professional communication
- Language globalisation and regionalization
- Cross-cultural communication
- Intercultural communication
- Crisis communication
- Migration studies
- Any other areas of applied linguistics that contributes to innovative research and that will be of interest to an AILA audience.